[DeTomaso] 180 headers AND AC

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 00:14:32 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/14/10 8:28:08 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> if you remove the condensor to let 180's exit can you move the condensor
> to the front of the car.

Yes, and even better- the stock hoses will reach to the front, with some
(OK, a LOT) of rerouting. I know of several Panteras that are rigged this way,
as well as our '72L.The entire AC will work more efficiently as well with
ram-air thru the condenser. I suggest you follow the factories' lead and wire
one fan for either an automatic 'ON' when the AC is working, or at least a
manual switch so you can control that fan separately.
The stock condenser is over-thick and can be replaced with a thinner more
modern aluminum one from a mini-pickup (about the same cabin volume as a
Pantera) that may be simpler to mount in front of the engine radiator. I also
suggest mounting the dryer iso the sight-glass can be seen during recharging.
My non-stock dryer (1-1/4" shorter but 3/4" larger in dia) is in front
trunk, in the angle between the front firewall and inner right fender. Our
battery has been dropped under the front trunk floor, but this dryer (or a similar
one) may fit behind a stock-mounted battery with a little shifting of
components. Most of the vendors now sell a kit of parts to make this mod easier.
Good luck- J DeRyke