[DeTomaso] zf rebuild

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 13:48:48 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/14/10 7:03:07 AM, rtaspl at aol.com writes:

> Well I did the rebuild myself the first time 10 years ago and made only 2
> mistakes; 1 made the trans hard to shift and grind $200 syncro but 2
> almost cost me a new trans.....

THat's the usual learning curve. One of my friends replaced the ring &
pinion on his perfectly good ZF, and after reinstalling, it wouldn'r shift AT
ALL!

One of the last things you do during reassembly is Lock-tite a setscrew
into the shifter rod assemblies thru a little access panel on the right side.
The ZF was standing on its nose and he used too much red-Lock-tite..... the
excess ran down a shift rod, under a synchro and reportedly it was a
monumental re-overhaul to break stuff loose inside. Second time around- it shifts
fine.
Also FWIW, all the other ZF overhaul shops get their new parts from RBT at
retail prices. Or they cannibalize blown boxes for useable stuff. If their
prices are really low, ask lots of questions! Good luck- J Deryke