[DeTomaso] Flat crank V8

Rick Moseley moseleya at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 12 23:33:34 EST 2010

>>>Has anyone heard of a american V8 with a flat crank ( like a Ferrari or
lambo).

Hmmm... wasn't the Foyt Coyote a flat crank??? I've I had my hands on 3 of
the blocks at the shop but haven't seen the cranks in a while...  but I'll
look for them.  Otherwise, you just see 180 degree headers to get balanced
pulse exhaust.

>>>And I know this may sound crazy to some of you but has anyone heard
of destroking a cleveland to  get a higher revving engine ( large bore short
stroke ) 8000 or 9000 rev's like the boss 302 that was used in the Trans Am.

Yeah, I think Drale was doing that...  I remember seeing some of his work at
the historic races 10 years or so ago.  His motors always have distinct note
when at full song.  His motors always seem to rev higher than most other
SBF's on track.

>>>I read that there was a Boss 3302 developed for the Trans am that
developed
over 500 hp and turned 9000 rpm. Does any one know anything about specing
out a build from a small block that generates over 500 hp and is good for
8500 to 9500 rpm with out blowing up?.

Carl and I don't discuss HP figures for the 66 Shelby TransAM in public.  I
will tell you we don't have to go to 8500 rpm to get the results you are
looking for.  We had to remove our Victor Jr. for historic racing and lost
50 hp but still in your "neighborhood".   If you want to spec a motor out
for those figures? Call Ted Yamashiro at Top of the Hill Performance in
Livermore.  He won't discuss our HP figures either but will give you what
you are looking for without discussing your motor with others.  But this is
not a street motor. You are talking about a small block TransAM spec (310 or
less) that runs HUGE lift and will be good for 25 hours between freshens.

Rick