[DeTomaso] optimum ZF ratios

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 19:35:23 EST 2010

I realized eary that even an increase to a 800 hp engine you would be
limited to 168 mph at e red line of 6800 rpm with the stock gearing. So you
may get from 0 to 60 allot quicker but you won't do anything to raise your
top speed unless you change the ring and pinion ratio.  You need to
calculate you gear ratios as well as your final drive ratio and take your
horespower as well as your torque to come up with the right combination that
will give you acceleration as well as top speed.  I wonder if there is a
software application that uses torque , horsepower, RPM's wheel sizes to
give you an idea of what you can expect. It could be a very expensive
experiment to try to match you engine and gear ratio's as well as ring and
pinion  to come up with the right combination. You could wind up with a 800
hp dog or a car with a 0 to 100 time of 5 sec's and a top speed of 140 mph.
Or a car geared to do 250 mph that won't reach it do to the laws of physics
and be a dog in 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile times.
Boyd