[DeTomaso] Speed Camera Tickets Not Valid?

Tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Tue Jan 12 18:51:44 EST 2010

I got one of those camera tickets in MD recently, while on a business trip,
while driving my company-owner's car, with him in the passenger seat.  IMHO,
these things are a blight on the American justice system.  In my case, I
crossed the stop line 0.8 seconds after the red, traveling 30mph in a 35
zone, in the rain, at night, at a place I've never been before, with a car
fractionally ahead/next to me, where there were two traffic lights 100yds
apart.  I recall being startled by the configuration as I entered the
intersection.  The closer intersection had only a parking lot driveway
entering from the right, with no cars there, with me in the left lane.  My
boss was so convinced that I never went thru a red light, he offered to pay
the fine.  I would never had gotten that ticket if there had been a cop
there instead.  There was no way I could justify travelling back down to MD
to fight it, etc.  Technically guilty; practically not; justice?  I say no
in this case.