[DeTomaso] optimum ZF ratios

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 14:24:27 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/11/10 6:40:41 PM, dgordon100 at cox.net writes:

> If buying a new ZF from RBT, what would be the optimal ratios for each
> gear and final drive given a max torque of approx 600+ ft/lbs at 4250 and max
> horsepower of approximately 700 horsepower at 6500 rpm both measured at
> the wheels? I would thin(k) that after each gear change it would be desirable
> to not drop below the peak torque rpm providing I shift at 6500 rpm.

If you're gonna gear it like you'll always be racing for money, the ZF will
likely hold together but production engines will get used up pretty fast.
My suggestion- phone or fax Lloyd Butfoy and ask the expert's opinion. He has
many possible ZF combinations- including a 6-speed- but you need to discuss
them- and their costs. My 2¢- J DeRyke