[DeTomaso] Update - cause of death - blown engine

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 02:42:14 EST 2010

Sorry to hear the final, Will. I've done the same and the post-mortems are
a real downer. It'll take several thorough washings before you're sure all
the cast iron and aluminum is out of a baffled pan so it can safely be
re-used. One thing I suggest: dig out a piece of damaged cylinder wall and you'll
be astounded at how thin it is when you measure it. Sort of a keepsake to
show your buddies who may not fully realize the importance of a sonic test
until they see it....
Grenaded engines are painful to hear about but at least no one was hurt.
Better luck on the next go-around. Cranks are one of the toughest parts in the
engine and even badly damaged cranks can be welded and reground- usually
yours becomes a core and they hand you a different one immediately. Cheers- J
DeRyke