[DeTomaso] When it hits the fan

Terry Marsh tm6279 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 00:33:08 EST 2010

"They" say confession is good for the soul.  In that light...My best friend
(now brother-in-law) and I borrowed my dad's 1959 Plymouth station wagon (9
passenger-rear facing third seat - 318 V-8 - 2 speed typewriter
transmission.)  We drove from Denver, CO up to Greeley - home of the local
teacher's college (UNC) and allegedly the epicenter of all hot babes in the
then-known world.

On the way to Greeley, we stopped to remove the air cleaner in order to
obtain additional horsepower and that great MOPAR roar while accelerating to
80 miles per hour in low gear.  (Don't laugh you Powerglide Pukes; you know
what I'm saying!)  After cruising the streets of Greeley without success, we
headed home - without female companions.  In an attempt to lighten the mood,
I coasted down a long hill on US 85, turned off the ignition for about 50
yards and turned it back on.  KABAM!  Neat explosion from the tailpipe, lots
of macho chest beating and laughs.  That one worked out so well, I did the
same thing twice more.  More big laughs helped us to forget we were shut out
on the "great teacher hunt."

On the next downgrade, I spotted a railroad overpass about 1/4 mile ahead.
Shut off the ignition at 80 MPH, coast all the way to the underpass, turn on
the ignition and KAAABLLOOEY!  Blew the muffler and tail pipe clear off the
car into the weeds.  The family truckster now sounded like a AA Fueler!
However, we still had 20 miles to drive home.  Pussy footed all the way,
dropped off my future brother-in-law at his house, and crept home.  I
coasted into the drive way and went to bed fearing the wrath of Dad in the
morning.

After a very short night, I decided to lie to Dad.  Obviously, some of those
UNC college boys sabotaged the car!  They stuck a potato up the exhaust pipe
and caused the damage! Yup, that's the story and I'm sticking with it!

The alibi didn't work (go figure.)  Next day, I'm at the auto parts store
buying muffler and tail pipe and learning how to install same.

Terry