[DeTomaso] optimum ZF ratios

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:58:47 EST 2010

IMO the stock 1st through 4th, with a tall (0.642) 5th will provide what you stated and has a good gear to gear ratio. Changing at 6500 and dropping to around 4300 in the low gears and to 5000 in the higher gears.

Ring and Pinion is your preference and doesn't make any difference to the rpm shift between changes, just the speed you'll be going. If a good top end speed (200 mph) is important then you probably want a 3.77 R&P, on the other hand if exiting out the corners or away from the lights is top priority then the 4.22 may be the best choice. Either way you'll have more than enough torque to sit you back in the seat. I'd be nore interested in asking Llloyd at RBT what he recommends doing to ensure the ZF can handle your intended 600 ft/lbs based on what your intended use is (i.e. street, track, race).

Good luck,

Julian