[DeTomaso] Update - cause of death - blown engine

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 11 09:02:05 EST 2010

The crank is a stock 351C stroker from Dennis Q.  It is offset ground to
3.7" and uses SBC rods.

The rods are SCAT H-beam, 6".  They have ARP cap-screw bolts.  The rod
torque is listed on the side of the box the rods came in.

I didn't look for the original paperwork this weekend, but I seem to recall
the instructions were to torque to spec and then to replace the bolts when
either

a) the untorqued length stretched more than 0.001" or 0.002" from the
original length (don't remember 0.001 or 0.002) or

b) the torqued-to-spec length stretched more than 0.007" than the original
untorqued length.

I bought the stretch gauge intending to torque to stretch.  However, once I
read the docs, I ended up torquing to 67 and then measuring the stretch.

And, like I said I must have set the torque wrench incorrectly.  It's either
that or the rod bolts lost 15-20 lb/ft - which I find hard to believe.

Another possibility is I torqued them to 40 and forgot to go back and do the
final torque to 67.  If that's the case, it's the dumbest (engine related)
thing I've ever done.  And that's saying a lot.

I don't think I forgot to torque to 67, though.  I distinctly remember
setting the torque wrench on the "7".