[DeTomaso] Update - cause of death - blown engine

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Jan 10 23:47:34 EST 2010

The brand of torque wrench isn't necessarily the key.  The key is making
sure it's calibrated.  I'm sure your local Snap-On dealer can help you
with that though.

I've only done a handful of engines myself.  My first ones were during
the time I spend earning my Automotive Technologies degree.  I don't
remember what sparked it, probably something that had happened to other
classmates, I can't be sure.  On every engine I've built, I never button
it up the same day I torque it.  I go through all the proper torque
procedures, then walk away.  The next day I come back and check the
torque on all the bolts.  After a couple days of that as I perform other
stuff, I put the pan on.

That's still no guarantee something won't break.  However in my own
mind, it allows me opportunity to make sure it's right -and- make sure
nobody else messed with it.

The other thing I do is duct tape all the ports, exhaust ports, intake
ports, manifold etc.  One of the first engines in our class promptly
bent a valve and punched a nice hexagon shaped hole in the top of a
piston.  Somehow, the partners on that one had managed to drop a nut
down the cylinder.  So my partner and I did a quick inspection, then
taped all the ports shut.

:)
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired