[DeTomaso] Polishing ZF

tmshinro at aol.com tmshinro at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 19:15:49 EST 2010

 I couldn't tell you what is different (if anything) because I don't get to see many other Panteras here in Iowa.  That is why I was very interested in having Mike drive my car and give my his impressions.   The only work I have had done to the ZF since I had it was to have the side plate gaskets replaced by Cory.   It's funny in that when I picked up my car after the work, Cory pointed out that the shift linkage bushing where the rod goes into the shift housing was worn (he grabbed the shift rod and was able to move it slightly up and down) but he said since the car shifts so well, he didn't see any reason to mess with it at the time.

I'm embarrassed to say that is has been around 8 years since I changed the gear oil, but I don't put many miles on it.

Mike didn't mention that I sawed off the shift gate fingers right after I got the car when I read that it would improve the shift effort in an old PI magazine.  The fingers were worn and the shift lever was heavily notched.  I replaced the shift lever and bought a new gate but didn't put the gate on for fear of scratching the new lever and making more work of shifting.

Tom