[DeTomaso] Polishing ZF

tmshinro at aol.com tmshinro at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 17:30:49 EST 2010

 For what it's worth, my ZF was media blasted and clear coated by the previous owner of my car.   You can see pictures on the registry (VIN 5186).  I've had my car serviced multiple time by Cory Gehling at Collectors Choice in WI and he told me a long time ago that he was told by the ZF people during one of his training classes that the case depends on the natural porosity of the aluminum to dissipate heat and that the case should not be painted or polished.   That said, I haven't had any problems with mine for the 23 years I've driven it and, according to Mike Drew (who drove my car at the Road America vintage races this summer), my transaxle shifts very smoothly from other cars he's driven.

Tom

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that a polished ZF won't dissipate
heat as effectively as the stock finish.

Chris
3846