[DeTomaso] ZF m1 gear box

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 14:07:27 EST 2010

That is a good pic showing an M-1 case and the regular half-shafts.

One must wonder why the case was cast differently where it slops up to the bell housing.
That is not an area prone to cracking or failure.

Chuck

My zf is the m1 case, but without the CV-joint. Is the inside then from the normal zf or
m1?
picture:http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNNR05774/5774ZF4.jpg

> From: jderyke at aol.com
> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:14:45 -0500
> To: boyd411 at gmail.com; detomaso at realbig.com
> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] ZF m1 gear box
>
> In a message dated 1/9/10 5:37:29 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:
>
> > How  can you identify an M1 zf gear box case ? Are there any clearly
> > identifiable differences or a different serial # range?
> >
> Two externally: the easiest is the large cast plate on top of the
> differential case, above the ring & pinion. The second is the CV-joint stub-axle
> flanges.
> Internally, virtually everything is supposed to be slightly scaled up :
> bigger shafts, larger bearings, different trans ratios etc, so almost nothing
> interchanges with our earlier units, and they are still 5-speeds. I've never
> seen one torn down. But somehow ZF made all this fit in the same
> external-dimension cases so they are a bolt-in to Panteras (assuming you can deal with
> CV-joint halfshafts or adaptions thereof) and are rumoured to be about 20%
> stronger. Road racers refer to them as 'super-ZFs'. But 8000 euros + shipping
> is a fair chunk of change..... Good luck- J Deryke

Word Up! Få opdateringer fra Facebook og Arto i din Messenger. Gør det her!
http://www.microsoft.com/danmark/windows/windowslive/import-friends/