[DeTomaso] ZF m1 gear box

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 23:45:36 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/9/10 20 41 4, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Yes, but he wouldn't have to do anything as in the M1 it is used in the
> GT40 orientation. Which makes an M1 ZF a prized buy for a '40 build as you
> save the $3K required to get a Pantera -2 flipped for '40 use. That said M1
> ZF's are usually more costly in the first place, maybe for that exact
> reason, although I thought they were considered 'beefier' (different input
> shaft?) and rated for higher HP than a -2?
>
>>>The input shaft is longer, that's all.   The main difference is in the
synchro design.   It's difficult to explain, but basically the gears, where
the synchro rings sit, are grooved on the Pantera design, and the inside of
the synchros is smooth.   On the BMW-style box, the gears are smooth and the
synchro is grooved.

That means that Pantera ZF parts and BMW ZF parts don't directly
interchange.   There is some commonality, but there's an awful lot that's specific to
each type.   The current-generation RBT gearboxes are built to the BMW
pattern.

> >The question, pehaps not worded eloquently on my part was whether a
> potential Pantera use of the M1 ZF would dictate drilling the oil ways as
> the Pantera uses it upside down to the M1 & GT40.
>
>>>Good question--I don't know what modifications would be required to flip
a gearbox back again--I think it may have been done, but can't remember
offhand who has put a BMW gearbox into a Pantera.

> >Another question that now comes to mind is did the M1 still use a 4.22
> Ring & Pinion?

this thread, and you can see all the gear ratios there.