[DeTomaso] Racing Mangusta- Homologaion Doc?

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 20:03:32 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/8/10 23 26 20, steven.liebenow at att.net writes:

> First, I found no homologation documents other than two prints.....What
> link am I missing! (I admit, I am a man and CFS...but I'm not about to ask
> my wife to help me find something "on a car website..."
>
>>>It's very poorly marked.   It appears totally buried in the middle of
the text in the middle of this page:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DeTomasoFactory/Mangusta/MangustaModel.asp?

The actual link is:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DeTomasoFactory/Mangusta/MangustaDocs1.asp

> >  No mention of the rim sizes etc....that Mike mentions, which I do
> believe are in the doc, as I do have an original copy...but there are also
> pictures of webers, headers,....special hubs for the wider wheels etc.... of
> which probably only a couple of sets were made and actually found themselves
> on production cars....
>
>>>The photos in the documents appear to show standard production items.
The only real variations are the Weber intake manifold (most likely an
off-the-shelf GT40 part, or a direct copy of one) and the Weber carburetors.
All the other pictured parts are standard items.

> >Neat document, but basically lies! None of the stuff ever made it to
> production!  ...unless of course there was yet another homologation doc created
> for the real cars....
>
>>>Yes, I think that's the case here, but they do allow themselves the
liberty of using wider wheels.

> > In the US, you needed 500 cars produced to consider it production...who
> knows about Italy.....perhaps there, "an idea was akin to producing
> it".....! :)  Sorta like how stop lights are "suggestions to stop"....
>

>>>HAHAHA!!!

The point of the homologation documents was to show how the competition
cars would be built and equipped, to include various options.   Thus the Gr4
homologation paperwork included things like eight-piston Lockheed front brake
calipers, even though only one Gr4 car was ever equipped with them.

The documents were normally created during the prototype phase, and formed
the recipie to which the cars would then be constructed.   The FIA would be
presented with this plan, and once the plan was signed off, then
construction could begin, and once the required number had been produced, then the cars
could be moved from the 'prototype' to 'production' class.