[DeTomaso] ONE COIL ONE PLUG - SHORT WIRES

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 9 19:32:54 EST 2010

I have been looking at the TEC3 too, it seems a reasonable compromise on the cost vs. performance scale over a MOTEC. My tuner also likes the DTAFast out of the UK www.dtafast.co.uk and swears its as good as a MOTEC at half the cost, but each tuner has his/her preferences I guess.

> Congratulations! You got a DEAL on the 8521!!! They are RARE! I have one, too. But I worry about the day when it goes south.
> Going back to batch fire would be an option....

I've seen some cam syncs made from old distributors cut down. MSD also has the universal cam sync PN 2346 now, which I think requires installing a magnet in the cam gear and a non magnetic pickup in the timing cover.

I also see an MSD inductive unit PN 8916 on sale that hooks to the #1 spark plug wire, but that to my mind seems dodgy being an indirect measurement and may not even work with multiple spark or waste spark systems. If that was a choice I assume a crank trigger would be equally reliable, but its still not a true cam signal.

Cheers,

Julian