[DeTomaso] DICK RUZZIN /Re:  Racing Mangusta =?win

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 19:08:13 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/9/10 11 40 55, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> 39 GTO were built. S were notch backs. 35 were fastbacks.

Right.   36 of the first-style GTOs were built, then three GTO/64 models
were made for the '64 season featuring the new cut-back roof, similar to the
250/330LM series roof for a total of 39 cars in the series.   Four of the
first-series cars were subsequently rebodied to the newer, far less attractive
style.

Of the 36 original cars, three were 'big block' cars fitted with the 330
(four-liter) engine.   Sometimes called the 330 GTO, Ferrari's official name
for these three cars was the 330 LMB (Le Mans Berlinetta).   They feature a
250 GTO-ish front end, 250 Lusso-ish rear end, and a strange box grafted atop
both rear fenders, presumably to allow greater wheel travel, and perhaps
some secondary cooling effect?   The boxes are open at the front and rear.

Of them all, I prefer the original design, but at upwards of $20 million a
pop, it's unlikely I'll be owning one any time soon!