[DeTomaso] Vadar Inboard Brakes for Pantera

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:14:06 EST 2010

I think there is an 'apples to pears' comparison here; The stock location of the rotor is inside the axle flange, but IMO not an 'inboard' brake in the sense you are describing for the Vader setup, you are talking about a system that reduces unsprung weight (Vader inboard) vs. a new hub carrier and brakes (Ken)

Secondly when you rebuild your stock axle it is very easy to switch to an outboard Wilwwod or Coleman hat that then makes it a cinch to exchange rotors etc., you don't need a new hub carrier unit to do that. I have exactly that with 12.1" dia. rotors on the rear with Sierra calipers and ain't no one gonna outbrake me into the first corner at Reno Fernley :>) (you had to be there last year......sadly RFR has closed). I believe the hub carrier unit is very capable and when upgraded with billet axles (that overcome teh fact the stock ax;les were slightly undersize) and the wider bearing as advocated by Mike Drew then it is a very robust unit. If someone reproduced that very unit in aluminum (as Hall did many years ago I believe) then that would be a very light robust unit and in addition remove unsprung weight. Plus having the advanatge of using all oem hardware if an owner chooses.

I have not seen detail or drawing design of Ken's hub carrier unit (I would like to see the detail) although have heard it talked about much (mostly by you :>), but do the hubs, rotors and brakes etc all really come in under $2500? I also understood that Ken's stub axle was a CV flange requiring you to upgrade to CV axles and corresponding ZF CV stub outs?  Question is how far do you want to go (or how deep a pockets) and what's your intended use, my car stops fine backing out the garage onto the driveway to wash it once a year......

Julian