[DeTomaso] Vadar Inboard Brakes for Pantera

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 14:24:02 EST 2010

IMHO, unless you are building an all out track only race car, inboard brakes
is a bad idea.

I have had them on Sports Racers and a couple of XKE's.

The XKE's were expensive as heck to do ANYTHING, brakes esp.

They also fade more readily on street applications because you can't keep
going as fast as long to keep the brakes cool.

The Sports Racer's obviously went very fast, had specific ducting for brake
cooling.

Nor were they expensive regarding maintenance ( because I did all that
myself ) or access,( because the body parts all come off in 3 minutes)

I think on the street, you are going to have lots more fade and build up
additional heat inside the engine compartment, which now leads to
ducting and a lot of other boy racer mods that just add back the weight that
you thought you were removing (albeit in a different manner).

You would do better to remove outboard weight with lighter wheels for racing
use only, not pretty, but stronger and lighter.

My suggestion is just to get a really nice brake replacement set if you are
so inclined, I have the Precision Proformance Super Stopper II
kits and they will stop so fast you be able to dredge up childhood memories
of Church Camp  that were best left buried in the recesses of your mind.

or you can blow even more money on a Brembo 6 piston caliper set, or I
believe there is some recipe on the forum for Porsche 911GT brakes as well.

I just installed new nickel-cad plated rotors on the Magnum, vented,
drilled, with cross (?) thingees and  Hawk Ceramic pads,  together
that combination has made an amazing difference in stopping distance,
general feel and fading.

It also helps if you bed them properly when everything is new as a set.  I f
you want directions, i can share what works for me with anybody who asks.
There is a fine line between bedding in new rotors and pads and glazing or
warping a brand new set, so be careful,

Michael Shortt