[DeTomaso] Spark plug wire lengths

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Fri Jan 8 13:29:54 EST 2010

By wire loom, do you mean that you want to bundle the wires parallel and close together for as much of their length as possible?  If so this is a bad idea from an electrical standpoint.  The short risetime of the spark event causes a good deal of mutual inductive coupling between the wire that's firing and any others that are run parallel and close to it.  The longer the close parallel run is, the worse the problem gets.  That's why the OEM's use plug wire separators and why Ford placed the 351C's #5,6,7,8 wires in the 5-7-8-6 order on valve cover bracket to prevent crossfire.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505