[DeTomaso] New Ford GT Transaxle

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 17:12:29 EST 2010

Being a mechanical engineer in a prior life, I rarely abuse hardware.  Basically, I'm just repeating what I heard in the past, that the ZF is good for 800 HP.  Of course, there has to be more to it than that.  There are probably several failure modes ranging from catastrophic to damaging synchros or gears so you can't shift.  I think Esakoff was destroying the ring and pinion gears.

As a further note, Lloyd said the 3.22 ring and pinion are bullet proof because the pinion gear is bigger.  I think Esakoff was maybe running lower than stock gears?  That implies a smaller (and weaker) pinion gear.  I'd have to ask Lloyd, but that might explain some of the failures.

Ken