[DeTomaso] supercharger questions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 16:29:00 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/4/10 13 10 56, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Once again in the interest of keeping my post brief i have condensed my
> message. I know I have habit of being long winded and I am trying to improve
> on that trait.

FAIL! :>)

But it's all interesting to read, so it's all good! :>)

BTW Smeding is right up the road from me; I went in there a few weeks ago
to learn a bit more about them, since several friends have Smeding crate
motors and they really like them.   Turns out they are not a machine shop in the
traditional sense, but rather a small engine factory.   They build a
handful of different engines, all exactly the same as one another, and just stamp
them out like a cookie-cutter.   There are no real options.   You just buy
the engines they build, or you go somewhere else.

It's an interesting business model, as this gives them terrific
repeatability since they're not experimenting all the time.   They've got their recipe,
and just bake the same cakes over and over and over.   Each engine gets run
on the dyno before it goes out the door, and in fact when I was there the
dyno was humming and there were several engines lined up waiting to be
tested.

If you happen to like the cakes they bake, it seems like a very good
alternative to having an engine custom-built locally.