[DeTomaso] New Ford GT Transaxle

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 16:24:54 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/4/10 13 05 28, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Ken mentioned that the ZF might be the weak link ( and the expensive
> repair)
> if one were to install an engine with over 600 hp into a Pantera. I was
> wondering what transaxle ford is using in the new GT-40. I'm sure it is
> priced out of this world but just out of couriosity does any one have info
> about it?
>
>>>It's made by Ricardo, and dgordon100 at cox.net (who just posted here
yesterday) is installing one behind his Ford GT engine, in his Pantera.   Both
the engine and the gearbox are substantially larger than the normal Pantera
stuff, as well as fantastically expensive, and as a consequence the conversion
is a decidedly non-trivial, six-figure job, involving substantial cutting
and re-engineering of the chassis etc.

> Also are the BMW parts for the ZF that I have read about stronger
> or just more expensive ?
>
>>>The only thing that's stronger is the case, which has a reinforcement
rib cast into it.   The case is only $500 though.   If you were concerned
about strength and were going to have your ZF overhauled, you might as well just
buy a new case at the same time and have all the guts transferred over.

Having said all that, I cannot imagine a circumstance where you would ever
drive your car hard enough to break the case....