[DeTomaso] NPC: Traffic fatalities in Sweden 2009

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 14:27:13 EST 2010

On the subject of driver education....

Here in California there is no requirement for ANY driver education if
you are over 18 years old.

Oh sure, you will need to take the 'eye test', pass the written test
and then pass the driving test. I suspect anyone would eventually pass
the written test if given enough tries - and as far as I know, there
is no limit. And the driving test is not enough to really give a true
picture of the driver's skills and knowledge.

With no required training, this means that most drivers have had ZERO
exposure to defensive driving, courteous driving, rules-of-the-road,
how to park, etc, etc.

MANY of my kids' friends waited until they were 18 to get a license.
Schools no longer offer driver training - most do not even offer
driver education - and paying for the private driver training costs $
$.  $250 or more, IIRC.

To me, this lack of education and training is one BIG reason most on-
the-road drivers have no clue what they are doing.

And of course, this doesn't even begin to do justice to the issue of
drivers out there without any license in the first place.

But licensed or not, with no education or training, there isn't really
much difference.

As the Sergeant in Hill Street Blues used to say,

Let's be careful out there.

Larry