[DeTomaso] supercharger questions

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:37:39 EST 2010

Ken , I agree with you and if you do the math a calculate the piston speed
for a stroker motor that exceeds 600 rpm  you will find that you are pushing
the documented limits of piston speed. there is a great book you can get at
Amazon.com called :"Auto math"
It contains all the basic calculations , equations, and theroy for an
automotive entusiast to calculate what type ofhorsepoer , torgue and RPM you
can obtain from an engine design and what type of effect certain
modifications will have instead of just guessing..
You will find that engines designed with very high operating RMPs have a
very short stroke. Infact if you want to build an engine to operate at a
very high RPM you would need to de-stroke it not stroke it. 5760 ft per
minute is around the maximum piston speed one can expect to operate at
unless you have built an engine with extremely high tolerances and very
expensive parts. The formula for piston speed is  piston speed in Feet per
minute = stroke in inches x RPM / 6, RPM = piston speed in FPM x 6 /stroke
in inches. When you put a pencil to your prospective engine design you will
find that with an increase in stroke you quickly reduce the RPM potential.
The Fodr 302 which was one of the highest reving ford engines commercially
available to the general public the stroke was   only 3.0 "  so at 8000 rpm
you had a piston speed of 4000 ft per minute,  a 351 with a stroke of 3.5 "
at 8000 rpm would have a piston speed of 4666 ft per minute.  A 351 with a
1/2 " increase to the stroke distance ( making it a 427)  would increase the
piston speed to 5333 fpm. It is much harder to build an engine that will
hold together under these types of stresses then it is to  build one that
will endure the higher pressure but lower revs of a super charged or turbo
charged engine. Remember that's also one of the reasons you need an engine
with much lower compression ratio if you plan to go with forced induction. I
highly recommend this book. It is availible in paper back. The author is
John Lawlor and if I remember correctly it only cost me a few bucks. Check
out Amazon. They have allot of books on engine design, supercharging and
turbo charging, Suspension and Chassis design, exhaust design. If you want a
crash course in the science behind making your car do what you want it to do
and you don't want to waste money  starting your own Research and
development lab this is the way to go.
Boyd