[DeTomaso] supercharger questions

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 12:22:34 EST 2010

As for as "why supercharging"  my answer is simple.  I had planned to build an engine using a Fontana block, Yates heads, and EFI.  I had repeatedly heard how the EFI calmed down the engine.  Then I was given a ride in a 500+ HP Pantera, with an IR EFI, which people had said was a smooth running car due to the EFI.  I guess it's all subjective, but my idea of smooth is a whole lot smoother than the car I rode in.

The solution was simple, either turbo charging or super charging.  40 years ago I was fine with a radial motor, but I also drove few miles, and never on a weekend getaway.  Now I want power and a car I can drive to Monterey for the weekend.  So it's a no brainer.  The only solution is turbocharging or supercharging.  Getting an extra 200 HP is nice also.

Also, there is a power range where you must either supercharge or go to seriously high RPM to make the target HP.  I suspect it's cheaper to build a 600 HP turbocharged motor that redlines at 6,000 than a 600 HP normally aspirated motor that has to rev to 7,500 to make the same HP.

Ken