[DeTomaso] supercharger questions

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 22:49:15 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/3/10 19 08 39, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> Has anyone ever had a "stripped weight" daily driver type Pantera?  No
> A/C.  Cut out all bad weight.  No heavy roll cage.  Decent seats.  Holy Moly
> power that you could drive to Vegas.
>      ----What could it be pared down to weight-wise?

I drove exactly that car from London to Modena and back this past summer.
Geoff Peters is an absolute nut about weight reduction, and has put his '72
GT5 conversion on a diet that Jack DeRyke could only imagine!

It has a beautiful leather interior (stitched by Johnny Woods), super
lightweight Sparco racing seats (also retrimmed in leather), it has a heater but
no A/C, an all-aluminum stroker Windsor, factory Magnesium GT5 wheels with
very light Michelin TB5 racing tires, a tiny aluminum radiator, a tiny
battery that looks like it came from a motorcycle, Vadar electric window lifts,
carbon fiber decklid and hood and wing, carbon fiber bumpers, and it's had
holes both large and small drilled through just about everything you can
imagine.   He's removed the sun visors, and the glovebox, and just about
everything else you can imagine in an effort to shed weight.

He weighed the car, and I believe it came in right at 2500 pounds.   With
more than 550 hp and 550 ft/lbs, it goes like buggery!

Johnny Woods Pantera has also been on quite a diet, although it retains a
few more creature comforts including stock (Euro) seats, an iron-block,
iron-head 351C, and stock steel hood and decklid.   I think his car came it just
a shade under 2900 lbs.