[DeTomaso] Installing Oil Temp gauge ...

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Jan 1 23:19:20 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/1/10 7:43:16 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Where on the ZF do you mount the temp sender?
> Photos?

Mine is about half-way up the case- still submeged in lube, on the right
side very near the case's front. I chose this area 'cause its about as close
to the ring/pinion mesh as I could get the sensor without going inside the
bellhousing, and the gear mesh is arguably the source of most of the heat
going into the transaxle lube. Unfortunately, drilling/tapping this area
(there's a convenient 1/2" dia circular area that looks like it might have been
intended for such a thing) requires the ZF to be out (or at least up in the air
a ways), as the right inner fender panel and subframe rail are only an inch
or so away. After installation, I wrote a POCA article several years ago on
ZF lube heating during a 900-mile round trip to 'Vegas and back, not much
of which was at 55mph.... FWIW- J Deryke.