[DeTomaso] New trunk insert pictures

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 28 17:30:39 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/28/10 14 06 23, kre at adelphia.net writes:

> I posted pictures of my new trunk insert on the PI forum under Community
> News if your interested. It shows the early build up through the finished
> trunk insert plug. It's made not to touch any of the painted surface inside
> the engine area, have a hidden storage cavity in the bottom, and will have
> an optional clear floor and front towards the engine. If you've spent un
> told hours inside finishing your engine compartment and would like to have
> usable luggage insert that will not demolish the paint in one pass, please
> take a look.

Here, make Larry Finch happy. :>)

http://tinyurl.com/ylqscd8

Obviously you are constrained by the physical limitations the car imposes,
but how does this trunk compare to the stock ones in terms of overal space
available, depth etc.?   I've recently been working on a '71 that has the
two-piece trunk (early trunks had almost no hump for A/C clearance; they were
cut apart by Stroppe etc. and a new piece was riveted into place, which is
very large and intrusive compared to the '72 and later trunks) and was
surprised at how much less space it offers.

it seems that your trunk has a rather large, flat cavity on the bottom,
which could easily be covered to create a sub-trunk, perhaps where a tool kit
etc. could be stored?   It seems as though you have a ready-made lip that
would support a cover piece, maybe hinged?   Is that in the cards?