[DeTomaso] Schwing-worthy hardware for ZF etc.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 27 22:08:22 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/27/10 10 14 29, cengles at cox.net writes:

>                  You wrote: >>>All hardware has to be plated with
> something or else it will rust immediately when exposed to moisture.  All fasteners
> that aren't cad-plated, or black oxide, are zinc-plated.  When you go
> through your local hardware store and look at all the silver-colored nuts,
> bolts, screws etc., that's zinc you're seeing.
>
>>>I gooned that up.   I failed to include, "...except stainless steel, of
course, which doesn't need to be plated because it's stainless steel".
Whoops! :>)

> >                 And you wrote: You don't have to plate stainless steel
> because stainless steel is, uh, stainless? :>)
>
>>>Right.   Meant to say that originally and forgot. :>)
>

>   >              I am confused.   Aren’t  those two statements
> contradictory, i.e. “you don’t have to plate stainless steel because its stainless”
> as opposed to “all hardware has to be plated with something or else it will
> rust immediately when exposed to moisture”?
>
>>>Yes, contradictory because I forgot to mention the stainless steel
exception to the rule.

> >      I do note from Kirby and others that there are differing qualities
> of stainless steel, but I would offer that Chuck Melton’s  stainless steel
> acorn nuts, albeit polished, have not show any sign of rusting.   So you’
> re saying that some stainless steel rusts and needs zinc coating and some
> stainless steel alloys do not need zinc?
>
>>>No, what I meant was that all normal steel hardware needs some sort of
plating (usually zinc, gold-colored is cadmium), but stainless steel doesn't.
  Normal stainless is sort of dull; it can be polished to a very bright
finish, but will periodically need to be repolished to retain its luster in a
high-grime environment.

Cheers!