[DeTomaso] oil leak, any one ever have this happen to them.

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Feb 27 13:35:34 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/27/10 9:53:57 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> The only time this happened to me, was when I failed to note the o-ring
> from the old filter stuck to the block and not the filter.  When the new
> filter went on, it broke loose the old o-ring which pinched it in an odd spot
> allowing a leak.... Now every time I do an oil change, I check for the old
> o-ring on the filter and manually clean the mating surface on the block to
> be sure.

I'd forgotten.... An incident like this once allowed me to visit beautiful
Johnson Island out in the central Pacific Ocean, when someone left an old
gasket on one of our plane's oil filters during a 100-hour check. 2 hours west
of Hawaii headed for Guam, we'd pumped 40 gallons of oil overboard when the
dashboard went awsh..-red. Johnson Island (a satellite tracking station)
isn't much to write home about but we were VERY glad for dry land to fix the
plane, compared to the alternative.... J DeRyke