[DeTomaso] oil leak, any one ever have this happen to them.

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Feb 27 13:20:56 EST 2010

One is supposed to touch a brand new filter's rubber seal with the dipstick
for a drop or two of lube and smear it around with a finger before
tightening the filter. Most of the time, there's enough residue left on the block
surface, but now 'n then the rubber seal catches on the metal, balls up and
can tear (same as I posted about using 'seal nuts' and sealing washers).
I was once driving another owner's Pantera (hard!) when the Taiwan-built
oil filter stripped its threads and blew completely off the block at 6500
rpms. You think you made a mess in your garage.... you shoulda seen the
racetrack with 8 (out of 10) quarts of 40-wt spread over it.
FWIW- J DeRyke