[DeTomaso] Schwing-worthy hardware for ZF etc.

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Feb 27 13:15:41 EST 2010

Dear Mike,

                 You wrote: >>>All hardware has to be plated with something
or else it will rust immediately when exposed to moisture.  All fasteners
that aren't cad-plated, or black oxide, are zinc-plated.  When you go
through your local hardware store and look at all the silver-colored nuts,
bolts, screws etc., that's zinc you're seeing.

                 And you wrote: You don't have to plate stainless steel
because stainless steel is, uh, stainless? :>)

               I am confused.   Aren't  those two statements contradictory,
i.e. "you don't have to plate stainless steel because its stainless" as
opposed to "all hardware has to be plated with something or else it will
rust immediately when exposed to moisture"?       I do note from Kirby and
others that there are differing qualities of stainless steel, but I would
offer that Chuck Melton's  stainless steel acorn nuts, albeit polished, have
not show any sign of rusting.   So you're saying that some stainless steel
rusts and needs zinc coating and some stainless steel alloys do not need
zinc?

                           Metallurgically yours,  Chuck Engles

Yes, they mentioned the extra zinc surcharge if ordered with that. I didn't
think that zinc would be necessary.

>>>All hardware has to be plated with something or else it will rust
immediately when exposed to moisture.  All fasteners that aren't cad-plated,
or black oxide, are zinc-plated.  When you go through your local hardware
store and look at all the silver-colored nuts, bolts, screws etc., that's
zinc you're seeing.

>I don't believe that Chuck Melton's polished stainless steel acorn nuts
have zinc plating and they still look good at the ten month point of
installation.

>>>Uh...duh?  You don't have to plate stainless steel because stainless
steel is, uh, stainless? :>)

> Do you think that the zinc coating is needed? It seems to me that the
standard $2.55 stainless steel acorn nut would work just fine.

>>>It would work in the sense that it would keep everything together.  But
it would rust right away and look like crap--and the sales rep from Zago
just confirmed that.  I'm awaiting a quote for stainless steel, and will
report my findings back to you. :>)