[DeTomaso] Airflow testing

Matt matt at nwpantera.com
Fri Feb 26 21:30:12 EST 2010

I decided to find out for myself.
I will be testing various areas for airflow as the weather ,work, and traffic allows.
This is just a preliminary test for camera settings and what kind of yarn tufts work best (any ideas?).
The camera(GoProHero) records in HD but I have to convert it to .AVI files for editing. I can't find any freeware which edits HD and I'm not quite ready to buy a new PC.So I'll keep using WindozeMovieMaker for now.
It doesn't look too bad IMO but I know it could be better. But that also depends on the PC it's being veiwed on as well.
In addition they(GoPro) have not come out with the promised firmware patch yet to allow for upside down flipping of the recording. Soon I hope since the prefered angle of shooting in this test would be reversed.
Due to limited options with the mounting hardware you have to imagine hanging off the end of the decklid feet first looking downward to the grille. WooHoo!

First I am interested in the A/C condenser flow.
I have the tub in this time and will see how it goes without it soon.
My first run yielded inconclusive data as I could not hold a sustained 100mph for more than a few seconds due to __________.
My guess is it looks like the positive flow throught out 0-100mph is outward , at least on the upper middle area. The lower section seemed to be less out and a little more in.
What my eyes tell me is if the stock fan is sucking in then it's not being as effecient as if it blew outward.
You be the judge and I'll keep you posted,weather,traffic,cops permitting.

http://www.youtube.com/nwpantera

Reporting somewhere near the Olympic games...heh,thank you Canada!
The Ghost
3584

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 01:28:47 CST 2010

...With a rear-mounted (stock) condenser, the fan sucks air in thru the rear
grill, the exhausted air hits the luggage tub and is directed down toward the
ground, so the hot air doesn't repass up into the condenser or forward and
out the rear window area. The whole scheme seems to depend on the Pantera's
aerodynamics: at speeds up to maybe 90 mph, air passing over the roof & out
the rear window area join over the decklid   about 3-4 feet up and forms a
big swirl behind the car that bends   back toward the rear bumper. This swirl
feeds the condenser fan with a very slight positive pressure at lower
speeds.
But as speed increases, the swirl moves back further and further, so around
the rear bumper, there's now a partial vacuum... and the condenser fan
cannot suck enough air in to exchange heat from the condenser. So the AC
head-pressure goes up until a hose blows off. Panteras didn't have a stock pressure
safety switch. Its well known that stock Pantera AC didn't work very well,
and didn't work at all above about 100 mph & we think this is the reason.
Around town, the rear mount works fine but it may need the luggage tub in
place to work best. Good luck- J DeRyke