[DeTomaso] Undercoating removal?

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:16:26 EST 2010

I removed the undercoat from the underbody of my '74. It was more a case of wanting to know what it was hiding than any aesthetic improvement and believe me it was hiding some significant rust in areas where moisture had gotten in between the metal and work hardened undercoat over the years.

I tried a few approaches and ended up with the putty knife and heat gun. After a little practice I found you can apply just enough heat to the undercoat and knife that it will cut through like butter. I then used the heat gun and a wire brush for any stubborn remnants, with a final wipe with a solvent based cleaner.

FWIW we use Orange-Sol to clean up in a heavy oil/bitumen research facility, it's by far the best non hazardous solvent.

Having done it I'm almost reluctant to spray anything back on there now...

Good luck,

Julian