[DeTomaso] Undercoating removal?

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Fri Feb 26 15:42:32 EST 2010

My car had what seemed to be layers and layers of undercoating applied the
years prior to me getting it and I appreciate the fact that there is no rust
on her.  I found that the electric scraper I bought from Harbor Tools for
about $20 (my memory eludes me with my age, but it weren't too much) was
good for getting a bulk of the undercoating off. If you smoke, at this
point, I suggest you quit.  Next, soak a rag in kerosene and place over each
area you want to remove.  Place a plastic garbage bag over it and keep
it ventilated. Wait an hour or so, remove the coverings, and wipe it all
down with a fresh rag soaked in kerosene.  In a pinch, I used diesel, but it
didn't work as well.

For God sakes, don't blow yourself up doing it though.