[DeTomaso] Schwing-worthy hardware for ZF etc.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Feb 26 14:35:29 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/26/10 6 11 44, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Yes, they mentioned the extra zinc surcharge if ordered with that. I
> didn't think that zinc would be necessary.
>
>>>All hardware has to be plated with something or else it will rust
immediately when exposed to moisture.   All fasteners that aren't cad-plated, or
black oxide, are zinc-plated.   When you go through your local hardware store
and look at all the silver-colored nuts, bolts, screws etc., that's zinc
you're seeing.

> >I don't believe that Chuck Melton's polished stainless steel acorn nuts
> have zinc plating and they still look good at the ten month point of
> installation.
>
>>>Uh...duh?   You don't have to plate stainless steel because stainless
steel is, uh, stainless? :>)

> > Do you think that the zinc coating is needed? It seems to me that the
> standard $2.55 stainless steel acorn nut would work just fine.
>
>>>It would work in the sense that it would keep everything together.   But
it would rust right away and look like crap--and the sales rep from Zago
just confirmed that.   I'm awaiting a quote for stainless steel, and will
report my findings back to you. :>)