[DeTomaso] Intakes.

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 12:11:21 EST 2010

> Were the iron heads open or closed chambers?
> If closed are the heads my Boss closed heads?

Those were your closed chamber iron 4V heads.

> Are you running the Gold Chevy rockers?

We ran the gold Crane 351C 1.73:1 ratio rockers for
those tests.  Subsequent tests showed a shorter 1.65:1
ratio on the exhaust side helped pick up torque:

Baseline for Tonight's Testing 1-22-09
Good solid pull on CHI head, CHI intake combo with Mustang headers, 3 inch
exhaust and Magnaflows.  950HP carburetor with 1 inch HVH merge spacer.
Best combo for torque and horsepower on this engine so far.  1.73:1 ratio
rockers on both intake and exhaust.

RPM     HP      Torque (ft-lb)
3200     219.2	359.1
3300	218.7	348.6
3400	225.8	348.7
3500	236.4	354.6
3600	247.4	361.1
3700	259.5	368.2
3800	273.9	378.1
3900	287.4	386.8
4000	298.6	392.3
4100	309.2	396.4
4200	320.1	400.4
4300	332.0	405.4
4400	343.8	410.3
4500	355.3	414.6
4600	367.3	419.1
4700	374.7	418.2
4800	375.8	411.8
4900	382.8	410.1
5000	392.1	412.0
5100	406.5	417.7
5200	410.3	414.9
5300	419.7	415.8
5400	427.5	415.5
5500	432.8	412.9
5600	429.1	403.0
5700	425.7	392.4
5800	421.7	381.9
5900	423.0	376.4
6000	428.5	375.3
6100	428.3	368.3

While we had the CHI heads installed, we tested shorter 1.65:1 rockers on the
exhaust side.  Peak horsepower remained about the same but torque picked by
10+ ft-lbs at some lower RPM points.

1.65 Rockers on the exhaust side
Same as tonight's baseline except for running with 1.65 rockers on the exhaust
side.  Seemed to not make any real difference in HP but helped peak torque
numbers very slightly.  Going to make another backup pull just to see since
engine sat for a while during swap.

RPM     HP      Torque (ft-lb)
3200	219.6	360.5
3300	223.9	356.5
3400	231.7	357.9
3500	241.9	363.1
3600	252.4	368.9
3700	265.0	376.1
3800	279.2	385.7
3900	291.1	392.2
4000	303.1	398.0
4100	315.7	404.4
4200	327.0	408.9
4300	337.7	412.2
4400	345.9	413.1
4500	356.2	415.7
4600	367.7	419.8
4700	378.0	422.3
4800	389.7	426.2
4900	397.0	425.8
5000	401.4	423.5
5100	407.0	418.8
5200	416.2	420.9
5300	419.9	416.1
5400	426.7	414.6
5500	429.5	410.0
5600	425.3	399.0
5700	421.6	390.3
5900	419.7	372.4
6000	424.9	371.7

Backup 1.65 rocker pull with engine warmed up
Seemed to help possibly a little more than I first though when compared to the
baseline pull.  Having some more heat in the engine after the 1st pull with
the 1.65's helped power.  Good solid pull with a power peak right at 5500 RPM.
and power showing no sign of dropping off through 6100 RPM.

RPM     HP      Torque (ft-lb)
3200	223.1	363.7
3300	226.5	361.3
3400	234.2	361.9