[DeTomaso] coupe fan motors ground

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 01:43:09 EST 2010

Believe it or not but it IS possible to remove the blower motor with the
dash in place. I've done it- twice- when I made a slight mistake in fan motor
reassembly.

The split-clamp holding the motor in place is removed (one screw is
invisible but can be found by touch). Next, you pull the outboard fan housing off
(2 screws), then lift the motor assembly up until the inboard squirrel-cage
fan is exposed enough to remove the setscrew holding it on the motor shaft.
Then the motor and outboard fan assembly can be removed. The reason for this
is, the inboard fan housing screws are totally inaccessible.

The potential problem comes in reassembling things just as you pulled it
out. It's possible to reinstall the squirrel-cage fan in the inboard housing
BACKWARD. If this happens, you get little air flow, and electrically
reversing the motor direction does nothing. So you do the whole job over again....
Once done, the job takes less than an hour total, but its hard on your
back. Large fingers are not a detriment. Be delicate- the squirrel-cage fans are
plastic and very brittle.

The other option is to remove the whole dashboard, and I've done that, too.
Also twice... takes about twice as long to put it back as to remove it.
Directions are in the "Pantera Service Highlights" factory manual. Good luck- J
DeRyke