[DeTomaso] [PCNT] OK City Pantera on eBay

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 21 20:32:54 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/21/10 17 19 6, cengles at cox.net writes:

> There has
> been some modification of the normal electrical relay panel near the
> driver's left knee.  It is absent.

You've spent too much time around L-models, Chuck! :>)

That 'normal' relay panel on the driver's side was a (very sensible) change
that came about roughly the same time as the L-model bowed.   Pre-L cars
like this one mounted all the relays, seat belt buzzer etc. in a stamped metal
cage that was bolted to the underside of the structure beneath the
windshield, above the passenger side footbox.   If you sit in the passenger seat in
a Pre-L, your toes are pointing straight up at it.

Looks like a nice car!   I rather question whether that paint is the
original color, as by 1972 the palate of colors had been trimmed considerably, and
that wasn't one of them.   If it was a '71, with a VIN sub-2000 or so it
would be much more likely.

FWIW I really like that '71 green (as opposed to the army tank green of the
'72 and later cars).   All the Panteras I've ever seen, except for one,
that were originally that '71 green color, were repainted something much more
ordinary, like Ferrari red--often before they were even originally sold.
The only original '71 green car I've seen belonged to John Weirheim, later
William King of Houston (remember him?), and he sold it to Mike Becker in San
Diego, who sadly chose to paint it blue (having said that, it's a VERY nice
blue and a wondful looking car today!).