[DeTomaso] 351 and 302 Distributer Compatibility

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Sun Feb 21 18:40:07 EST 2010

I'm not sure about the 302 but the only difference between 351C and 351W
distributors is the gear. I'm pretty sure Thomas Tornblom can tell you
exactly what the differences are between the 302 and 351C/W distributors
because I believe he modified a 302 distributor to work in his fuel injected
351C. I'm pretty sure there was more to it than changing shafts. I recall
the 302 housing being slightly smaller in diameter than the 351 housing but
I could be wrong.

Be careful with the MSD Cam Sync Oil Plugs. They had compatibility problems
with most aftermarket ECU's. I had one for a 351C but was told by Accel not
to use it with my ECU. I've heard of similar warnings coming from Big Stuff
3. It seems the MSD signal generators don't produce a clean square wave. In
fact, the signal they generate is more like a sine wave. When tested with an
oscilloscope, the MSD sensor produces a wave form that rises at a 45 degree
angle, is flat across the top, then falls at a 45 degree angle. Also, it
only works with a 5V input. Electromotive ECU's seem to tolerate the MSD
signal but most others do not. Mad Dog Antenucci now has my 351C MSD Cam
Sync Oil Plug and I assume it works fine with his Electromotive ECU.

Price Motorsport (www.pricemotorsport.com) is now producing billet Cam Sync
Oil Plugs. It's very similar to MSD's but uses an OEM Ford Hall Effect
signal generator or an OEM Ford VR signal generator (they're
interchangeable) . In fact, Price supplies them without the distributor gear
or the signal generator. Those items are up to the buyer to supply. In
essence, Price's unit is a billet version of the cam synchronizer that came
on 5.0L Ford Explorers from '96 to '01, but altered to fit the
351C/460/351W. The Ford Hall Effect signal generator produces a perfect,
clean square wave, up to and past 9,000 RPM, with either 5V or 12V input.