[DeTomaso] Deck Lid Strut Part #'s

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 16:10:45 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/20/10 13 05 54, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> I went and checked out the Napa struts yesterday.  They are SUPER stiff!
> I mean, I couldn't move them an inch with all my weight.

The struts have a very difficult job; they have to lift a lot of weight and
have a very poor lever arm to do so.   So they are necessarily very stiff.
 Having said that, if they are TOO stiff they will actually damage the
decklid.   So it's a very fine line.

I think (if memory serves) you need a 'weight' of about 100-110 lbs.
Easily tested by placing one end on a bathroom scale, then pressing down and
noting the weight when they actually move.

The shocks should be just strong enough to hold your decklid open when it's
fully open.   If you release your latch and raise it halfway, it should
just stay there, or perhaps slowly open.   If you release your latch, let go of
the decklid and it flies open on its own, they're too stiff.