[DeTomaso] Guara for sale on Ebay

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 14:07:29 EST 2010

I'm with you John - the styling has never convinced me. There are certain
angles that look quite good, but there are portions, the rear as you
mention, that just don't do it for me.

Mike Drew and I were handed the keys to the Guara demonstrator and the Guara
Barchetta a few years ago to play with in the hills outside of Modena. The
factory said "just bring it back when you are running low on gas..."

Gotta love it.

Anyway, they are fantastic handling cars. We drove probably a half hour
going up and down a mountain, and it was all non-stop switchbacks. It was
brutal on the brakes - blast out of the curve, 6000rpm in 2nd gear, then
hard on the brakes. Swing around the curve and floor it again for a couple
hundred feet, then slam on the brakes. Nothing but gas and brakes for a half
hour non-stop. There wasn't the slightest hint of fade.

The other thing I noticed is how nice the car sounded. I'd only heard them
idling in parking lots and they sounded like any modern car - somewhat
Honda-like. But when you are hard on the throttle it really sounded quite
good!

Summary - great handling car. But based on the styling I'd rather have a
Pantera Si in my garage over a Guara.

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"