[DeTomaso] more evidence I'm a not much of a mechanic...

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Fri Feb 19 17:30:46 EST 2010

Christopher Kimball skrev:
> I had my motor built to a 408 stroker not long ago, but lately, it doesn't "feel right."  It feels as if it may be missing on once cylinder, but I'm not sure how to test that.  Will this work?:
>
> Let the car idle, and while it's running try disconnecting the spark plug wires, one at a time to see if it makes a difference in how the engine runs.  My logic would say every time I disconnect a wire from a firing cylinder, the motor would run a bit rougher.  If I disconnect the wire to the cylinder that isn't firing, it wouldn't make any difference, since that cylinder wasn't firing in the first place.
>
> Of course, the problem could be something else; once before, with my old motor, I thought the same thing was happening, but it turned out it was an exhaust gasket leak.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts on this.

This is very much like the built in cylinder balance test in the Ford
EFI I have in my car (from an early 1990:s mustang).

When I enable the cylinder balance test, it starts by raising the idle
to 1050 rpm (iirc), locks the timing and idle air and let it stabilize.
It then starts to cut out one injector at a time, measuring the rpm drop
for each cylinder, and if the drop is not within about 50 rpm per
cylinder, it will indicate which cylinder(s) are not contributing
properly. If I blip the throttle after the first test, it will re-run
the test with a narrower drop, and it can be run with yet a narrower rpm
drop.

Very cool! Good job Ford!

It did properly indicate that #3 and #7 did not contribute properly with
my original motor, and that turned out to be due to glazed bores, which
let oil past the rings, fouling the plugs. It also properly indicated
the cylinder when it had wiped a cam lobe on #5 in Italy.

> Sincerely,
>

> Chris

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21