[DeTomaso] more evidence I'm a not much of a mechanic...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 16:54:48 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/19/10 13 50 34, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> Let the car idle, and while it's running try disconnecting the spark plug
> wires, one at a time to see if it makes a difference in how the engine
> runs.  My logic would say every time I disconnect a wire from a firing
> cylinder, the motor would run a bit rougher.  If I disconnect the wire to the
> cylinder that isn't firing, it wouldn't make any difference, since that
> cylinder wasn't firing in the first place.

That is a very effective and oft-used diagnostic technique.   It's a good
idea to use some sort of very insulated spark plug socket pliers to pull the
lead off while the engine is running, to ensure you don't get a nasty shock
if your plug wires are compromised somehow.   You can probably get a set at
any auto parts store.

Here's a link for Larry Finch:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&
as_filetype=&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&
as_nhi=&safe=images&q=spark+plug+boot+plier&um=1&ie=UTF-8&
ei=UQh_S5b3BYv6sQPQ0938Cw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB0QrQQwAg

and for the rest of you:

http://tinyurl.com/yh4gfdj