[DeTomaso] more evidence I'm a not much of a mechanic...

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri Feb 19 16:47:02 EST 2010

I had my motor built to a 408 stroker not long ago, but lately, it doesn't "feel right."  It feels as if it may be missing on once cylinder, but I'm not sure how to test that.  Will this work?:

Let the car idle, and while it's running try disconnecting the spark plug wires, one at a time to see if it makes a difference in how the engine runs.  My logic would say every time I disconnect a wire from a firing cylinder, the motor would run a bit rougher.  If I disconnect the wire to the cylinder that isn't firing, it wouldn't make any difference, since that cylinder wasn't firing in the first place.

Of course, the problem could be something else; once before, with my old motor, I thought the same thing was happening, but it turned out it was an exhaust gasket leak.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Sincerely,

Chris