[DeTomaso] Headlights turn on but buckets don't open

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 13:53:29 EST 2010

Peter, assuming its not some mechanical problem like a cracked plastic
gear, be sure the fuse is good and the fuse contacts are clean. The motor power
comes off a side-post on the headlight switch; see if its still connected
-its part of a bundle of wires that runs near the accelerator pedal. Next is
an inop microswitch up near the radiator top, but these switches can be taken
apart and cleaned with spray contact cleaner. I've never seen one
permenently fail. Finally, the power connection to the headlight motor is mounted on
a weird grommet-spade lug attached to the motor bottom that can and has
disintegrated, shorting out to the motor case. I routinely remove the whole
grommet and spade lug- which is only there to stabilize the motor wires, and
that can be done with a simple tie-wrap. The last electrical problem might be a
shorted commutator bar or a worn/broken brush in the headlight motor. This
Ducellier motor is identical to those in the window -raising mechanism and
are available from the vendors or used from owners that have upgraded their
window lifts. Good luck- J DeRyke