[DeTomaso] A-arm connections

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 15 02:50:11 EST 2010

Hey Bill,
Yes, I sure do have the SBC, and it was running like a vampire out of hell
until the axle broke.
I picked up a pair of Dennis Quella's uprights, with the zerk fittings, etc,
along with rifle drilled forged axels, new Willwood calipers, rotors,
balljoints, fat bearings, etc.$ etc.
I can't recall this VIN but I think it's real close to yours, very low
number. 13 something.
It has 1/4" steel plates cut and welded along the frame support, below the
rear a-arm upper mounts, all the way down to the bottom, where it connects
to the lower frame rail. I'm not sure if this was the factory recall fix or
if there were installed by the race car prep company, when they put The
Beast on a rotissere to beef up the chassis about 5 years ago. The steel
looks fairly new.
The stock welds were junk, a ton of pitting and contamination. We are having
to grind them 1/2 off..Three of them were completey cracked, top to bottom.
Smitty, the master welder going over this, says it looks like there was not
enough of a "shield "during the factory welding, which allowed oxygen to
enter and burn the welded metal. I think he said Guido didn't use enough
Argon.
The welding on these steel plates looks pretty good, but Smitty is tripling
the number of welds.
Getting all these seams down to reflective metal is a real bitch. burning
and scraping off the undercoating, and wire wheeling off every RCH of paint
and primer.
I decided to take down the fronts as well, which look alot better, although
the sheetmetal looks pretty flimsy.

Dan