[DeTomaso] Another Tire Question

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 14 09:44:35 EST 2010

Mileage and life depends on how hard you drive.  While mine should be
replaced if I am going to track the car due to age, my Kumho's have
lasted several years and over 7,000 miles, with three track events.

Yeah, I know - I drive like a pansy.  But still great mileage and life
for the V700 Kumhos (245/40R17 & 335/35R17).  While the price has gone
up, they are in my opinion one of the best tires you can put on a
Pantera, both from a performance and a price basis.

When I replace the tires I will use the 315 on the rear since the 335 is
no longer available, which is no big deal.

The tire is not a tire you want to run on wet pavement, which is not a
problem for me since I don't run the car in the rain (when it is running
- comment added for Dailey and all the other guys that are hounding me
to get it back on the road).

A review on Tire Rack pretty much tells it like it it:

"I replaced my stock Pil*t Sp*rts with these, and the transformation was
instant, and incredible! Grip is HUGE, and more importantly, break-away
is soft and progressive - very controllable. On the track, cornering
grip and turn-in is improved so much that I now use the corners to catch
cars that used to walk away from me. Heavy push went to neutral, and
rear snap went away - that does a lot for your confidence when you're
hanging it out there! On a VHT surface, I have to add 1500 rpms to
launch, or I bog. I did get a couple with open-seam problems, but was
advised to run them backward for a while, and that seems to have helped.
I was told to expect only about 3,000 miles from them, and given the low
cost & high performance, that would be just fine. But with 1800 miles
already, I'm expecting to get probably 5,000 from them. These tires
transformed a twitchy, 500+HP, white-knuckler into a confidence
inspiring cornering machine! *Definitely* buy again."

For more information on the tire, go to:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+V700#Survey

Dick Koch - Atlanta